11th April 2017: with Nick.
The main purpose of the trip was to have another look at the water level in the dig, so that we can get work there underway. It was noticeably drier on the approach through the cave passage.
At the top of 20 we paused to investigate a curious gurgling sound being created by a trickle of water through a tiny fissure in the rock. We, then collected the digging kit we had stashed about a month ago and took it down to the dig, some of it will be useful I'm sure. The small side passage, that overflows into the dig was dry. I was optimistic that the dig would be dry. It was!
After sorting-out the digging kit, Nick suggested that we remove the clay film that had settled as the water had receded. So, that we did, taking turns to fill the bucket with the claggy sediment and load the skip. Hauling the skip wasn't so easy either, the haul rope could do with replacing, then there was the thixotropic slop to be removed from the skip. But, we managed to get most of the slumped and settled material out and the digging should be easier next session. Hopefully, more of the team will be available and that will make the task a whole lot better.
Time for refreshment, another warm, thirst inducing digging session.